Monday, November 06, 2006

The Most Compelling Thing I've Ever Read

How's that for a grandiose title? Did I get your attention? Good. Because it's true.

At the recommendation of Cup Of Joe Powell, I began reading a blog yesterday that has shaken me to the core. And let me tell you, that ain't easy.

For those of you that know me, you know that I have suffered some losses recently. Big losses. I also work a job where my main responsibility is to read letters and seek out families who have suffered some major losses. And I do mean SUFFERED. Suffice to say I am a bit calloused. Sympathy and empathy, once at the top of my list of character traits, have almost disappeared from my So, for me to say that this blog I have been reading has moved me...well, it's quite a statement.

Joe Powell explains it pretty well over at his place, if you want to take the same journey as I did to get there. But if you are short on time, I'll quote from the actual blog.

  • Whats happening

    GAC, my 29 year old wife, the mother of two young children, and a frequent writer here is in dire condition. The root cause is unknown, but she is in critical condition at an ICU here in Oak Ridge, TN.
    While this is happening, I'm hijacking what is normally a once a day, write whatever kind of blog and turning it into a journal and a vigil for her.
    This began on October 30, became serious on November 2nd, and became critical on November 3rd. Feel free to catch up in the archives.
    I will continue this as long as it needs to be.

    Thanks very much.


The blog is called Atomictumor and I BEG you to read it. I beg for a couple of reasons.
  1. It will reinstate or reinforce your belief in love.
  2. Perhaps someone will see something familiar in this woman's condition and be able to offer some sort of explanation as to why she is so ill. (I know - long shot. But trust me it happens. Feel free to ask me about the time I diagnosed a 12 year old girl with Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis).
  3. Whatever your personal belief system, it's hard to dispute the power of positive thinking. Call it prayer, call it meditation, call it good thoughts. Call it what you will, but the more people who are expelling brain waves of positivity into the atmosphere about this man and his wife, the better.
So anywho...do yourself a favor and read this blog. It starts here at the bottom of the page 3. Please read it.