Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Real Junkie

It wasn't so far back that I was a wide eyed idealistic newbie in La La Land. Well, I guess 11 years is actually a long time, but I digress. Back then there were basically 3 kinds of Network prime time tv shows: sitcoms, dramas, and news shows. There was certainly a cornucopia of programming on cable and daytime tv. But from 8 - 11pm, it was pretty set.

Now, back in the day, I was working as a production coordinator at a studio and I was asked to book some travel for a certain morning show host to go to London to shoot a gameshow pilot. OK, sure, whatever. Then I was told that this pilot was a big deal prime time show. WHAT? A gameshow in prime time. Never gonna work.

A few months later, I was at a 4th of July bar-b-q when a cheeky British guy cornered me for an hour telling me about this amazing tv show idea he had. "It's Lord of the Flies meets The Real World." Um, DUMB! Never gonna work.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that I don't greenlight shows for the big 3 networks or we'd be watching stale old sitcoms and yet another hospital/courtroom/cop drama. Had it been up to me there would be no "final answer" or "immunity idol" in our daily conversation. And, hey, maybe the world would be better off. But, damn, I'd be soooo bored.

I am embarrassed to admit it, but I have become a reality junkie. I can't get enough, and lord knows there is a smorgasbord to choose from. Yikes - I even found myself glued to freaking America's Next Top Model last week. Help. I need some sort of detox or rehab or something. My brain is turning to mush.

I'd write more, but they are about to name the next Pussycat Doll. Gotta go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must have lunch with you soon or i will explode.

stace

11:06 PM, May 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...