Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Food Glorious Food

Well, good ol' Cup O Joe smacked me upside my head and hit me where it counts - my tummy. He tagged me with an delicious meme. I've been asked to list my five favorite places to dine out. Yummy.

This isn't really as easy as some might think. Having lived a significant amount of time in a handful of cities, there are eateries from Batavia to San Diego that make my mouth water. Pontillo's Pizza on Main Street in Batavia, NY defines pizza for me. Our standard order was a large pizza, half pepperoni / half mushroom and they knew it was us calling decades before caller ID.

San Diego is home to The Chicken Pie Shop, Knoxville has Louis' on Old Broadway with crazy good garlic bread. A moment of silence, please, for Pop's Place in Jeff City - the tiny Pop's burgers and chocolate shakes were my CN diet.

I could go on and on, but I know Joe tagged me so I'd spotlight some Hollyweird fare. So here goes...

1. El Coyote - This place is legendary. The "scratch"margaritas are like diesel fuel and the food is only good after your taste buds have been numbed by said "scratches." But somehow, I can't stay away. It was the first place I ate in LA, and, the last place Sharon Tate ate anywhere. She and her friends dined in the big corner booth the night they were killed by the Manson kids.

2. Palermo - When I first moved to LA, they'd give you free cups of wine while you waited for a table. Shortly after, they got in trouble with the feds and had to start charging 75 cents. I'd pay twice that just for the pleasure of hearing Tony bellow "Kelly, pizza time." Get the Rotelli with Tony sauce. You won't regret it.

3. The Tam O'Shanter - It's the original Lawry's Steakhouse. It was Walt Disney's favorite place. And it's where we had our wedding reception. Order the chocolate souffle. Enough said.

4. Damon's - When LA-B and I got hitched and moved to Glendale, we decided we needed a place. We found it in Damon's. The best Mai Tai's in the world, prime rib, and monkeys hanging from the ceiling. I will never forget the day we walked over to Damon's after catching a matinee of "Spiderman." There was a boxing match on the tv and the bartender, Denny, started chatting with us. It was at that moment we became regulars (cue The Replacements song). We shared a 10 oz prime rib just about every Friday for the first 2 years of our marriage.

5. Hmmm, number 5. This is tuff. There must be a million restaurants in the naked city and naming just 5 is so hard. Some have great food. Some have great memories. Some have both. For number 5 I choose The Walt Disney Studio Commissary. It's where LA-B and I had lunch almost daily when we first started dating.

Ahhh, I feel like I've missed so many. No worries, LA-B will fill in the blanks. I'm tagging him along with Worldwide Jag, Dave Lowe, and...I feel bad about tagging peeps I don't know. So, I'm gonna leave it at 3.

Happy eating.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe Powell said...

I too mourn the loss of Pop's in Jeff City. Where can a student from a Baptist College dilute their drunk-filled metabolism now???? I even wrote a poem about the place which was featured in the CN literary journal - helped of course by the fact I was working as editor for the journal :)

5:49 AM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a hard one, but I accept your challenge.

8:06 PM, May 21, 2007  
Blogger Dave Lowe said...

Wierd, I was just thinking I have not checked in on your blog in awhile and so I do...reading, reading and surprise you tag me...OK...I'll post something a little later.
Rattle snake pictures crazy and cool!

7:45 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger Dave Lowe said...

just posted my "tag" response.

3:03 PM, May 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...