Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Monkey on my back


I hope you have all stopped in to visit Cup Of Joe Powell today to see his shout out to Tits McGee's photos of her trip to Graceland.

I commented to Joe that I would post a little trivia about the monkey in the picture. Or, more accurately, trivia about a song that Warren Zevon wrote about said monkey.

Mr. Z talked about writing the homage to the King's porcelain primate on his website. Here's what he said...

I was writing a song with one of my oldest and best friends and most frequent collaborators Jorge Calderón. And we were working on a different song. Actually, a kind of violent and terrible song. Too terrible to talk about now. And I noticed on his songwriting notebook as we sat on the sofa of suffering in my apartment, working, he had a postcard that turned out to be from Graceland - of the TV room, with the porcelain monkey sitting on the coffee table with the, you know, the onyx eyes. And that inspired us. I said, "What's that?" And he said, "That's Elvis' porcelain monkey." And then we had to spend the next week or two writing the song. Jorge and I talk all the time. You know, almost every day. And I called Jorge last night and his daughter -- his grown daughter was there, he wasn't. And she said, "You know, a friend of mine just came from a trip to Memphis and she said to me, ‘You know, I went to Graceland?' ‘Yeah.' ‘And the most striking thing I saw in the whole place was this porcelain monkey of Elvis'."
So, there you go.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you also know that the felt on his pool table was ripped the very first night it was in the house? And that's the way it stayed...

7:53 PM, June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...