Monday, August 20, 2007

Caller D.O.A.

I am thinking of editing my caller ID on my cell phone. See the house phone from Fleaflicker used to come up as "Home." But at some point it seemed sort of weird. Afterall, I was a thirtysomething year old married gal living far far away from the residence corresponding to that particular number. So, around the time LA-B and I bought our townhouse in the Valley, I changed the name to read "Mom & Dad."

It stayed that way for quite a while. At least 6 months after Mom passed away. I guess it must have been around Christmas time 2005 when I finally changed the ID to "Dad."

Though,Dad followed Mom into the great hereafter, I have yet to rename that number. I should, I know. But I don't know what to change it to. For a while, the number was shared by The Editor, Cup O'Joe, and Immy with a T - far too many names to list on the 2" square screen. Now that The Editor has relocated to an undisclosed location with her "Sweetie" it seems even more appropriate to change it. But to what?

It is a little unsettling to see the caller ID read "Dad." It's like getting a call from the great beyond. And of late, that's not too off. It seems the only time anyone ever calls my cell phone from that number it is to deliver the news that some family member or friend thereof has died. A few months back "Dad" called with news that Uncle Freddy had finally lost his battle and last week the ID popped up to tell me that my Uncle Bones was gone. Just today, Immy with a T called to tell me that the wife of my Dad's racing friend died.

I cringe each time I see that ID because I know what the call is about. So, I am changing the name. I am renaming the number formerly known as "Home" to the sadly more appropriate "D.O.A."

4 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

Why not call it Casa de Fleaflicker?

At the very least, it will give you a wee chuckle.

(Now I feel bad for only calling you on my cell.)

4:52 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

funny, i was gonna suggest Fleaflicker too, or just Flea, except that might make you think the bass player was calling.

and how lame am i for calling so seldom, except with grim info?

well, i suck at making calls. i will endeavor to alter that, at least.

still, no doubt Kel, it has been a mighty rough time of late.

ps
I was gonna say to tag the number as Tennessee, but then that might make ya think the wee one has phone access.
and ET is out too, cause then you'll think a 1980s movie is calling.
as you can see, i am deeply conflicted about phone usage.

7:51 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Kelvis said...

Please, I hate the phone too. In fact, I've noticed I am becoming a bit of a shut in of late. I think I need to get some Social Anxiety Disorder meds.

9:10 AM, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

if memory serves, i think i am the current Regional Governor of Shut-Ins.

our motto: send more meds!

4:14 PM, August 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...