Saturday, February 02, 2008

Wait, WHO is working here?

So, LA-B and I have crappy old linoleum in our bathroom. We used to have crappy old linoleum in our other bathroom, too. But when we found out that Tenacious G was coming LA-B ripped up the linoleum and laid down yummy tile.

I admit I have always been envious of that floor. But it took a full weekend if not more to lay down. And now that little G is here and running around, it's just too much time to devote to home improvement. So, we bit the bullet and hired someone to come in and do the work. He's a nice enough guy. A friend of mine found him down in "the hood." He is a deaf / mute named Louis. OK, that sounds crazy, right? My friend picked up some deaf/mute in south central and now he is her handyman. Wow, when I sit here looking at it I start to feel insane.

It's not like that. She went to a tile store near her church which happens to be near "the hood." She was going to tile her kitchen and bathrooms. While there buying tiles, she asked if they could recommend someone to do the work and they introduced her to Louis. He came that day and got right to work and did a great job. So, when we decided to do our master bathroom, I had her take me to the hood and introduce me to Louis.

Anyway, he came over, gave us a price and he was to come back today to do the work. He came back, all right, but he brought his 7 year old daughter with him. Hmmm. Strange. Did we talk about that?

So, now while Louis installs the tile in our bathroom, I am sitting here on the couch keeping an eye on his kid. Yep. I am essentially babysitting for the handyman. I can't really just go about my business because she is constantly talking to me and asking me questions and chasing the cats. I put in a DVD for her, but she seemed to get bored with it. I brought out a bunch of colored pencils so she could draw but she's done with that now. Um, this is strange, right? This is supposed to be my day off. I am supposed to be hanging out, playing with Tenacious G and doing my stuff. Instead, I am babysitting.

I think I am annoyed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave Lowe said...

Your story really hits home in a odd
Twilight Zone way.

I'm a lousy handyman around the house. Alessandra complains her needs for fixes fall on deaf ears.

When I do get around to working on a home project she has to babysit ME so I don't get distracted chasing cats, watching DVDs or drawing with colored pencils.

11:10 AM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd be annoyed--I hope he knocked the price down. The real question here: did he do a good job?

3:31 PM, February 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...