Friday, September 15, 2006

My Brain Is Shrinking


Well, the countdown is on. The predicted arrival date for the Great Pumpkin is just 4 weeks and 2 days away. This means several things. First, this Valley Grrrl is feeling a bit uncomfortable. I'm exhausted all the time. I get winded walking up or down even a small flight of stairs. I spend more time in the bathroom than any other room. And, as it turns out, my brain seems to be shrinking. I've read some theories that the brain actually shrinks 3-5% during pregnancy. Although I can't seem to find any solid medical documentation of this, I am a firm believer.

Just a few minutes ago I was down in the bathroom here at work. My business was complete and I was standing at the sink washing my hands. I turned on the water, wet my hands and reached up to the soap dispenser to get some soap on my hands. No big deal, right? Perfectly normal. I proceeded to wash my hands under the water like anyone would do. Then, I turned off the water with my forearm, reached up to the soap dispenser and put more soap on my hands. I turned the water back on and washed my hands again. I did this 3 times before I managed to break the cycle and reach for the paper towel dispenser after turning off the water.

This kind of thing is happening to me all day everyday. I've actually gotten up from my desk, walked down the 2 flights of stairs, through the kitchen, through the lobby and into the bathroom before I remembered that I was actually just getting up to pull something off the printer that sits right outside my office.

Oh, what fun this last month is going to be. Too bad I will never remember it!