Thursday, January 12, 2006

Advance Directive


Ok - so, I just read this and, well, I want all my loved ones to know that this is what I expect them to do for me when I go.


Woman who died in 2003 left in front of TV

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 9, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) - A dead woman dressed in white was positioned in a chair in front of a television set for 2 1/2 years because she told her caregiver that she didn't want to be buried and planned to return, the coroner said.

"Don't show my body when I'm dead," Hamilton County Coroner Dr. O'dell Owens said Monday in describing Johannas Pope's wishes. "Don't bury me. I'm coming back."

Pope, 61, died Aug. 29, 2003. Her caretaker and friend, whose name has not been released, left the woman upstairs in the home with the television and air conditioning on while the body slowly decayed and mummified, authorities said.

Some family members continued to live downstairs in the house since her death.

Police went to the house last Wednesday after a relative who hadn't seen Pope in 2 1/2 years called them. They found a staircase behind a door blocked by a basket and climbed to the second floor where they found the body.

"Standing outside, one could smell death," Owens said.

Owens said he had not determined the cause of death but found no signs of abuse or foul play.

Authorities are working to determine whether any crimes were committed, but Owens said the caretaker and family members apparently did not benefit in any way by keeping Pope

4 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

When I heard this story on Wednesday, what got my attention was, "Some family members continued to live downstairs in the house since her death." So... for 2 1/2 years NO ONE went up to visit this woman?

10:30 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

She may have come back to life and then starved to death waiting for someone to let her out.

5:32 AM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger Joe Powell said...

You have been tagged.
See my post for Jan 14 for details on how to play.

2:09 PM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger Karen said...

Two thoughts- how do I get that piece of pancake out of my keyboard?
And...more relevantly-
Ewwww.

2:34 PM, November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< there's no place like home...